Matte lipsticks have been huge this year. Almost every brand has launched them. I, for one, have stopped using lip glosses at all. I think lipsticks look much more sophisticated and sexy. And matte textures are my favorite.
When it comes to lipsticks, a matte one is the trickiest. If you do it right, it looks classy. But if you do it wrong, you end up with cracked, uneven and flaky lips. A matte lip color highlights every imperfection on your lips.
Creamy lipsticks have moisturizing ingredients and hence they are easier to apply and are more forgiving. But easy things can get boring, right? 🙂
Hence today’s blog post is about how to wear a matte lipstick and look fabulous.
- Make sure your lips are exfoliated. I have said this in every “lip” post I have written. Use either a lip scrub, a mix of sugar and olive oil, or a toothbrush! (see this post for lip care tips)
- Moisturize. We all know this. Use a lip balm. Period. Before wearing matte, lip prep is not optional. It barely takes a few seconds.
- Leave the lip balm on for a few minutes and wipe off with a tissue. This, because you want your lip color to last longer.
- For a longer lasting lip color, fill in your lips with a lip liner in a shade close to your lipstick. Yes, this is one extra step. But it will reduce the number of times you will have to touch up your lipstick later! And don’t just line your lips, else after your lipstick fades, you will be left with a weird line around your lips! Not a cute look. Fill in with lip liner.
- Now it is time for lipstick. You can apply it straight from the bullet, but the best way is to apply using a brush. Gives a more even application.
- Blot with a tissue, reapply. This will seal in the color.
Enjoy your matte lips!
See you in the next post!
Click here to read about 4 ways to wear red lipstick.